Release notes for Funnelback 14.0.0
Released : 10th September 2014
14.0.0 - New Features
- Data API providing access to reporting and wcag information in a structured (JSON) form.
- New curator ruleset editing interface
- New curator trigger based on predictive segmentation features and query term addition action
- Push collections have been reimplemented to be more stable and scalable.
- Graphical redesigns of WCAG reporting and Content Optimiser.
- When files kill_exact.cfg, kill_partial.cfg and gscopes.cfg exist, they will be automatically applied to the collection when the collection is indexed. Push collections will only apply gscopes.cfg.
- Predictive Segmentation feature for providing market segmentation information for website visitors.
14.0.0 - Selected improvements and bug fixes
- Added support for custom query completions (query_completion.csv) in profiles.
- Added support for Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Redeveloped warc file library providing a simpler interface.
- Padre indexing now automatically ignores MapDB database files.
- Contextual navigation is now enabled for new collections by default.
- Indexes may now be upgraded on installations which are in read only mode.
- Various reliability improvements to the tuning system, including support for processing redirects.
- Fixed sending of analytics emails on Linux installations where the schedule has been changed from the default.
- New Java based indexer workflow.
- Logs for each indexing stage are now separated, and named in the form Step-(stage name).log
- Halting an update on Unix platforms will now terminate indexing processes rather than waiting for them to complete.
- A copy of Funnelback's query completion script jquery.funnelback-completion.js is now created with Funnelback's version number (e.g. jquery.funnelback-completion-14.0.0.js) to allow result pages to continue using the old version after upgrades if desired.
- New padre result modes for producing config files for setting 'killed' document flags and query independent evidence.
- API compatibility and rate limiting improvements to a number of the social media gathering libraries.
- Improved scripting support for WCA database upgrade tool.
- Fixed handling of query processor option upgrades when the options contained pipe '|' symbols.
- Fixed padre indexing collfield option when reindexing a collection's live view.
- Fixed a problem in analytics PDF exporting when a query contained an ampersand.
- Default configuration now suppresses any Java exception traces which would otherwise be displayed by the Jetty web server.
- Improved image scaling quality of low colour bit depth images.
- Added support for quick links in search result for pages with protocols other than http.
- Query completion data for profiles is now compiled in parallel, significantly reducing update time for collections with many profiles
- Incompatible component indexes in a meta collection will be skipped by the query processor, setting -exit_on_bad_component=1 will cause the query processor to revert to the previous behaviour.
14.0.0 - Upgrade Issues
- Some previous versions of Funnelback on Windows fail to uninstall ActivePerl correctly during upgrades. Version 14's installer will provide a warning if this causes a problem for the upgraded installation. If this warning occurs you must manually uninstall ActivePerl from the system before reinstalling Funnelback.
- The Curator Groovy Trigger and Action interfaces have been moved from the package com.funnelback.publicui.curator.action to com.funnelback.publicui.search.model.curator.trigger. Any custom implementations of these interfaces must be updated to reflect this change.
- Curator's DisplayProperties action now takes an 'additionalProperties' parameter rather than calling it 'properties' (for consistency with other actions). Existing curator.yaml file using DisplayProperties must be updated.
- Curator's CountryNameTrigger previously took an argument of 'targetCounties' - The spelling has been corrected to 'targetCountries'. Existing curator.yaml file using CountryNameTrigger must be updated.
- Support for Novell fileshare document level security has been removed.
- The default cache URL has been changed from
/s/cache(classic UI to modern). For collections requiring the old cache URL, this may be set in the collection's
- On TRIMPush collections the record types and classification security files are now stored inside
live/idx. The query processor security plugin has been updated to account for that change.
- Funnelback's Jetty web server now logs to
log/jetty.log.#instead of including its log in the wrapper process's
- A unset value for query_processor_options in
conf/<collection>/collection.cfgie "query_processor_options=" will no longer be overridden by the the default value, instead it will be treated as supplying no options to the query processors.
- All standard Funnelback security plugins now prefix keys with [collection_name]; to allow keys to be sent only to the relevant sub-collections when a meta collection is used. Any custom security plugins must be updated to perform the same prefixing.
- ManifoldCF may experience an SQLException when loading databases from earlier versions in some cases. Removing the $SEARCH_HOME/databases/manifoldcf/dbname will cause a new database to be created to resolve this issue, however ManifoldCF must then be reconfigured. Manually upgrading the version of ManifoldCF should solve the problem without data loss once a fixed version is available.
- A number of classes in the Funnelback common package have been organized into new package structures. Where these have been used in external scripts, these scripts must be updated.
- Funnelback now uses the modern UI's
/s/redirectclick tracking system by default instead of the classic UI's /search/click.cgi.
14.0.0 - Errata
- Funnelback 14.0.0 does not fully support Internet Explorer version 8 within the WCA reporting interface. This presentation issue will be addressed in a future release.
- Funnelback 14.0.0 does not fully support producing content optimiser information for push collections. This issue will be addressed in a future release.
- Push 2 in Funnelback 14.0.0 has a bug where anchor text is not correctly applied.