The Quick Links feature displays a list of relevant links below the result summary for home page results. These links are displayed whether the result is a top level domain home page (eg. http://www.domain.com/) or a sub home page (eg. http://www.domain.com/news/default.htm).
It provides search users quicker access to specific links contained in home pages without having to visit the home page to find the link.
If the result is a top level domain home page, it also allows you to provide an inline search box restricted to this domain.
Quick Links quality
The list of quick links is built during the indexing phase, each time the collection is updated. This list is built using anchor information extracted from the crawled home pages.
- The various settings explained below allow you to fine tune the quick links detection mechanism based on word length, link title length and page depth, as well as exclude specific words.
- The quick links mechanism is based on URLs paths found during the crawl and thus will be more efficient if the crawled website(s) uses an extensive URL scheme (eg. http://www.domain.com/news/qld/sports/), and less efficient if the crawled website(s) uses dynamic URLs instead (eg. http://www.domain.com/news.php?loc=qld&cat=sports).
Setting up quick links
To begin setting up quick links for your collection, browse to the Funnelback administration interface, select the collection you wish to set up quick links for from the 'Manage Collections' area, and then select 'Edit Collection Settings' from the 'Administer' tab, and click the 'Quick Links' tab.
The Quick Links tab provides the following options:
- Enable Quick Links
- Allows you to enable or disable the quick links feature. Please note that enabling this setting requires a collection update to be effective, as the quick links list is built during the indexing phase.
- Domain restricted search box
- Allows you to display a small search box restricted to the top level domain, below the list of quick links.
- URL depth
- Allows you to search quick links not only for the top level domain home pages (depth = 1) but for any depth of home pages. For example, if you want to detect quick links for an URL like http://www.domain.com/news/qld/sports/ you'll need to set the depth value to 4 or more.
- Enable for result ranks
- Allows you to display quick links only for the first n results. By default quick links are only displayed for the first returned result. You can use the special value ALL to display quick links for every result.
- Ignored words
- This parameter is a comma separated list of words that should be ignored when the quick links list is built for a domain. Every anchor text containing one of these words will not be included in the quick links list.
- Minimum title length (letters)
- This sets the minimum number of letters that a link title must contain to be considered as a quick link candidate. The default value of 2 prevent single letter links (as found in a glossary for example) to be detected as quick links.
- Maximum title length (words)
- This sets the maximum number of words that a link title can contain to be considered as a quick link candidate. Any link with a title containing more words than this setting will not be included in the quick links list.
- Minimum number of links
- This sets the minimum number of quick links that a domain should provide to enable quick links for this domain. Any domain that doesn't provide a sufficient number of links will not display quick links in the search results.
- Total number of links
- This sets the maximum number of quick links that can be displayed for a domain.